Building Services: 
Q: Can my inspection be done today? 
A: Inspections called in between the hours of 8am and 9am can be done the same day. Otherwise, inspections are completed the next business day. Or you can call Charleston County Building Services at 843-202-6930 and request your inspection through their office. 

Q: Do I need a permit to put up a fence? 
A: Fences built at or under 6 feet tall do not require a permit. 

Q: When is a building permit not required? 
A: An accessory structure that is less than 20 sq. ft. 

Business License: 
Q: How much is a business license? 
A: The cost of a business license is based on the revenues generated in the Town of Hollywood only. 

 Planning/Zoning Administration: 
Q: I want to move a mobile home into the Town. What is my first step? 
A: The first step is to meet with the Planner/Zoning Administrator to verify zoning. You may also obtain an information packet detailing all documents needed prior to approval for permits. 

Q: What is required for building permits? 
A: Residential permits require a plat of the proposed site, verification of septic permit or sewer access, two sets of construction and site plans and a tree survey (if applicable). 
Commercial permits require all of the above, as well as an engineer's site plan and letters from utility providers. 

Q: When is a permit required? 
A: A permit is required for new construction, additions, structural alterations, porches, decks, garages, sheds, accessory structures, and other projects involving electrical, plumbing, mechanical, and gas work. 

Q: Where do you obtain these items required for permitting? 
A: All 911 addresses are assigned by Charleston County (843) 202-7217, septic permits from DHEC (843) 202-7020, property plats may be obtained from the RMC office (843) 958-4800 and construction plans (which may include a tree survey and site plan) come from individual contractors/engineers/surveyors. 

Q: Can I make payments with a credit or debit card over the phone? 
A: Yes, for a small convenience fee. We accept Visa, Discover and Mastercards only.  Cash is not accepted.

Q: Can I pay sewer impact fees after I receive my building permit? 
A: No. First, you MUST submit $2,950 to the Town for wastewater impact fees on residential sites. Commercial site impact fees are calcualted based on square footage and use.

Q: What does a permit cost? 
A: Mobile home permits are $250, residential and commercial building permits vary based on square footage and value of construction.